http://www.nextgenroms.com

New users please head to https://www.nextgenroms.com

Warning: Malicious VPKs that can brick Vita just surfaced and VPKTool 1.7 added detection function

Post any news articles or updates here that's relevant to the scene.
Vita Queen
SuperModerator
SuperModerator
Cash on hand: Locked
Bank: Locked

Re: Warning: Malicious VPKs that can brick Vita just surfaced and VPKTool 1.7 added detection function

Postby Vita Queen Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:55 pm

C0d3m4st4 has released VPKTool 1.7.5 and prior releases since 1.7. This latest release adds the last bit of security checks he feels are necessary in making sure VPKs are safe. Features such as added support for MaiDumpTool v233.2z10 was included in the 1.7.3 release. Here is the link to the latest version as of this post.
IBRAHIM77
Registered Member
Registered Member

Re: Warning: Malicious VPKs that can brick Vita just surfaced and VPKTool 1.7 added detection function

Postby IBRAHIM77 Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:12 pm

Thanks for the warning !
CymraegAce
SuperModerator
SuperModerator

Postby CymraegAce Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:38 am

It's being reported that somebody has released another VITA bricker:

"We have a reddit feed on our discord. A link was deleted from here by the AutoMod for a Duck Hunt style Vita Homebrew. This game uses string formatting to build the os0 strings and such so doesn't show up in the search within the eboot, so it would not show up as malware. MPT looked at the eboot and said this: "See the os%s 0: that means it'll put those together to make os0: Replacing the %s"

This game was released UNSAFE, so it would have flagged you in Vitashell. You have been informed, please spread the word."

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/VitaPiracy/com ... w_bricker/
"I never make stupid mistakes. Only very, very clever ones." - John Peel
dragonle87

Postby dragonle87 Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:54 pm

Not too sure how to use VPKTool.
haojiezhu
Respected member
Respected member

Postby haojiezhu Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:26 am

It's being reported that somebody has released another VITA bricker:

"We have a reddit feed on our discord. A link was deleted from here by the AutoMod for a Duck Hunt style Vita Homebrew. This game uses string formatting to build the os0 strings and such so doesn't show up in the search within the eboot, so it would not show up as malware. MPT looked at the eboot and said this: "See the os%s 0: that means it'll put those together to make os0: Replacing the %s"

This game was released UNSAFE, so it would have flagged you in Vitashell. You have been informed, please spread the word."

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/VitaPiracy/com ... w_bricker/
The fact that the initial version of malware was completely unencrypted and now with simple string replacement made me believe the whole thing was created by some kids with fairly basic programming skills, not by pros. Almost all modern day PC viruses & malwares encrypt their payloads to avoid detection by AV software.
teepo
Registered Member
Registered Member

Postby teepo Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:07 am

Hi there. I'm just new on this, but I made a search on the dumps I already installed and found out the os0 traces on their code using an hex editor. My handheld did not bricked so far. Should I be worried? I'm still in risk?
mrjohnapleased
Registered Member
Registered Member

Postby mrjohnapleased Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:28 am

I just got Call of Duty Black ops Declassified from here and searched through the game's files with a hex editor for anything "os0" as recommended in this thread and found nothing within the contents of the game when i extracted it, but when i search for "os0" on the .vpk file itself, i did find something. Is this something that I should be worried about bricking my system, or is this particular call to "os0" required to install the .vpk? I'd post a picture of it but I don't know if i even can.
shaheryar
Respected member
Respected member

Postby shaheryar Sat Oct 15, 2016 3:00 pm

sad news
: ❈ ♦◊ ♕ ₭inℊ ⊙₣ ℋℯrℴℯs ♕ ◊♦ ❈ : :bow-yellow: :happy-sunny:
ckv1212
I fix things (._. )
I fix things (._.  )

Postby ckv1212 Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:33 am

I just got Call of Duty Black ops Declassified from here and searched through the game's files with a hex editor for anything "os0" as recommended in this thread and found nothing within the contents of the game when i extracted it, but when i search for "os0" on the .vpk file itself, i did find something. Is this something that I should be worried about bricking my system, or is this particular call to "os0" required to install the .vpk? I'd post a picture of it but I don't know if i even can.
If its from here then chances are it's fine. Check the comments on the thread. We are a heavily moderated forum :)
Read the rules ,Its not long .
BTC Address for donations : 1PYUL7RLx1YKLJwLAq1UXGUdDGzCH5KFLF Everything goes towards the site. This website is not run for profit.
Follow VitaPiracy on Twitter to stay updated
mrjohnapleased
Registered Member
Registered Member

Postby mrjohnapleased Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:47 pm

If its from here then chances are it's fine. Check the comments on the thread. We are a heavily moderated forum :)
Thanks, I just installed it to my PS Vita and vitashell 0.95 does not flag it as unsafe. Tried it out and works fine! :D
It's so unfortunate that there are people out there who intentionally try to brick others' systems in an attempt to hurt the scene. :cry:

Return to “News”